About the Contest
The contest is open to all students in Kindergarten through Grade 12 who live in British Columbia.
Participants may submit one entry during the contest period. The entry will be judged in one of the following grade categories:
- Kindergarten to Grade 4
- Grades 5 to 8
- Grades 9 to 12
Kindergarten to Grade 4
How can I help my community?
Grades 5 to 8
What role can I play in our democracy?
Grades 9 to 12
What can I do to strengthen our democracy?
Entries must be created according to the specifications outlined below:
- is either hand-created or computer-generated (“computer-generated” excludes the use of Artificial Intelligence image and art generators);
- is in the form of a drawing, painting, poster, collage or other form of visual art (except photography);
- is made using any art media (except three-dimensional supplies)
may include words, characters or numbers;
- is in any language;
- is not larger than 8.5” x 11” inches (21.59 x 27.94 centimeters);
- has not been plagiarized;
- does not include copyrighted clip art, brands, logos, music or symbols;
- does not contain offensive or demeaning language or imagery;
- does not contain private, personal or sensitive information about another individual or group; and,
- has not been published
One entry per participant will be accepted. Collaborative entries (created/drafted/made by more than one person) will not be accepted. Entries are accepted in any language.
The contest period runs from Monday, November 6, 2023 to 11:59 p.m. (PST) on Wednesday, January 31, 2024. Mailed entries must be received or postmarked by January 31, 2024. Entries not received or postmarked by the end of the contest period will not be accepted.
All eligible contest entries will be evaluated by an impartial panel. One winning entry will be selected in each of the three grade categories. Entries will be evaluated using four guiding criteria:
- Addresses contest themes
- Creativity and originality
- Clarity of message
The contest winner in each grade category will be informed by email and/or phone. The first names, grades, and school names (if applicable) of the contest winners will be publicly announced on the websites and social media of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia and the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia.
The three contest winners (one from each grade category) will receive the following prize awarded by the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia and the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia, including:
- A trip to Victoria in May 2024 for an unveiling at the Parliament Buildings of the three winning entries. (Please note: The cost of travel to and from Victoria and hotel accommodation for up to two nights for each contest winner and one parent or guardian will be provided.)
- Opportunity to meet with the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia and Speaker of the Legislative Assembly.
- A behind-the-scenes tour of the Parliament Buildings.
- Additional prizes will include selected age-appropriate items from the Parliamentary Gift Shop.